In the wide world of comedy…
- The May 10th performance of “Apocalypse Meow” at the Daily Planet Cafe is nearly sold out - a week after advertising started and more than 2 months before the show. I’m not even sure my folks have been able to buy tickets yet. So if you’re planning to go and haven’t bought tickets yet, you need to get on the BOCs website and do it MEOW!
- Last Monday, just hours before it closed, I made and uploaded a 15 second video as Keith the Koala for the “World’s Shortest Gig” competition. It didn’t get short-listed, but Piff the Magic Dragon did – so while Amnesty International may be against discrimination between humans, they’re clearly happy to do it between koalas and dragons. The winner is voted for by the public to be flown to NYC to perform the same 15 seconds in front of the 6,000 guests at Amnesty International’s Secret Policeman’s Ball in New York on March 4th. Fear not though Keith fans – there’s still flights, tickets and an all inclusive hotel stay for two to be won, so I have a good feeling (and some inventive lottery tampering) that tells me Keith is going to be sitting in the front row anyway. But in the meantime if you want to see an English man in a dragon suit being surly at Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Russell Brand and the Muppets - get voting for Piff on Facebook and get your friends to vote for him too!
- Meanwhile, “Keith Looks Back In Anger” has been completely confirmed for the Edinburgh Fringe, as part of Bob Slayer’s “Alternative Fringe at The Hive”. Which means I’ll be spending 50 minutes every day of the festival in a giant koala suit, wearing giant fluffy ears and colouring in my nose, then threatening to sexually/physically assault my audience under the guise of “alternative comedy”. Stay tuned to the YouTube channel – there is some proper bat-shit crazy stuff being filmed for Keith in March, and it’ll be trickling out in the lead up to PICF, the US trip and the Ed Fringe.
- My trip up the US west coast by train is starting to shape up, and I have an agent in Los Angeles! I don’t even know how to take this seriously, but a mate from high school (who until a month ago I hadn’t heard from in nearly 10 years) has become some marketing/promotions guru and is out there promoting me, singing my praises and organising gigs for when I arrive in late May as well as offering to put me up in his top floor apartment. HOLY… SHIT… BATMAN
- John Robertson is back in the U.K! Perth’s favourite ukulele-playing, side-burn wielding funny man and star of the nervous-breakdown inducing “Dark Room”, is back to perform his hysterically dark 2011 Edinburgh Show “Blood and Charm” in the Leicester Square Theatre on March 12th and 14th. I’ll be there - YOU SHOULD COME TOO!
- The Bloggess has started yet another meme, involving one “Juanita Weasel”- your’s truly decided to load up MS Paint and contribute by defacing one of cinema’s most treasured images
- I’ve moved house AND started a new job – hopefully now I’ll be able to afford all this ridiculous travel and shows I’ve booked, and won’t wake every morning wanting to punch the screaming 4 year old I used to live with in the face. The new place is warm, doesn’t have floors/walls made from rice paper, and is about 2 minutes walk from my very laid back job mixing paint 4 days a week. So huge thanks to the Townsends for welcoming the ginger menace into their work and home (I know you’re reading, Louise) and to my old housemate/radio co-host/source of endless amusement, Martin Hughes for making it all happen. Things looked pretty grim a few weeks back, and Mr Personality helped out everywhere.
- Speaking of “The Hughes” – he’s just hosted his first show flying completely solo from 8 till 9 last Wednesday. I listened in online from home and sent him offensive/off-putting messages for the entire hour. But he held it together and managed to survive it without spilling a coffee, advertising another radio station, or with any dead air. So congratulations Martin – I may have had a partial stroke from listening to an hour of your shite music, but it was an excellently run show. Click to listen to Martin’s first show without the Mighty Ginge trainer-wheels.
And with a March 1st deadline for a mountain of posts/updates to the Mighty Ginge website, something tells me the next few weeks are only going to get crazier. And it’s only going to be followed by additional craziness as the Perth/US trip nears – welcome to the rabbit hole…